1. Thou shalt have no major atom but Carbon. For I am the central atom of all living molecules, and I have brought thee out of the land of general chemistry, out of the house of bondage.
2. Thou shalt not take the bonding of Carbon in vain - a carbon with five bonds is an abomination in my sight, saith the Lord.
3. The tetrahedral shape of the Carbon atom is holy - thou shalt not draw Carbon atoms that have been squashed or mutilated.
4. I am the Creator of all atoms, and I am a jealous God, saith the Lord. Thou shalt not take it upon thyself to create or destroy atoms, or I shall smite thee, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon thy children unto the third and fourth generation.
5. Six days shalt thou labor, and six sides hath a benzene ring - remember the benzene ring, and keep it wholly.
6. Thou shalt not create functionality at random places in an alkyl group, merely to satisfy the demands of a synthesis problem. The alkane is an abominable synthetic intermediate, and thou art a holy nation.
7. Thou shalt not have arrows attacking nucleophiles, nor departing from electrophiles. Truly I say unto thee, he that writeth an arrow beginning at a proton will be cast into the pit of eternal damnation.
8. Thou shalt not have two arrows leaving from the same atom at the same time, nor arriving unto the same atom simultaneously.
9. Thou shalt not move atoms in resonance forms, yea, only electrons may move.
10. Thou shalt not have strong acids and bases both present simultaneously in a mechanism, for the proton will covet its neighbor’s strongly basic group, and the hydroxide ion will covet the proton or the charge of its neighbor, the carbocation.